The Council Membership Committee annually reviews nominations received from Council members, deans, and staff, and then makes recommendations to the Board of Trustees.
To qualify for council membership, a candidate must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Demonstrated leadership and involvement in Cornell activities for 5 or more years
- Achievement of significant leadership role in business, profession, or vocation
- Significant contribution to the betterment of society through leadership in community, education, charitable organizations, or other humanitarian undertakings
To nominate someone for Council:
- Review the position description for a Council member.
- Click on NOMINATE to make a nomination.
- Nominations will be accepted through November 4, 2016. Nominations received after the deadline will be held for the following year.
This is a confidential process; please do not advise the candidate of his or her nomination. If you have membership questions, please contact Laura D. Fratt, Chair of the Membership Committee, or Loreal Maguire, Director, Office of Volunteer Programs.
Other Membership Categories
The honor of life membership may be granted to members who have reached their 65th birthday, have served at least twelve years on council, and have given distinguished service to Cornell on an annual basis. The Membership Committee recommends life membership candidates to the Board of Trustees for review and election.
Criteria must be met by July 1 of the year the term would begin.
Friend of the Council
The designation "Friend of the Council" is an honor bestowed on special friends—mainly emeritus faculty, staff, and administrators—who have a longstanding and active relationship with Council. Friends have shown long-term loyalty to the university or have made a continuing and substantial contribution to alumni. They are considered council members and are eligible for committee membership. They are invited to participate in the Trustee-Council Annual Meeting as distinguished guests.