Each council committee has a direct working relationship with a campus department or unit. Council members or university staff may suggest ideas for committee projects. Council members submit information about their skills and interests, and the committee chairs and university representatives select people based on fit.
Current committees, chairs, and university representatives:
Admissions and Financial Aid
Chair: Cynthia Kubas '78
Co-Vice Chair: Scott J. Pesner '87
Co-Vice Chair: Enrique Vila-Biaggi '94
URep: Lee H. Melvin, Associate Vice Provost for Enrollment
- Keeps abreast of current issues and trends that affect undergraduate admissions and financial aid, and serves as an advisory committee to the Associate Vice Provost for Enrollment.
- Committee is frequently given specific projects that help to track/assess national trends with regard to admissions and financial aid.
Athletics Alumni Advisory
Chair: Michael A. Troy '81
URep: J. Andrew Noel, Jr., Meakem-Smith Director of Athletics and Physical Education
- Members are ambassadors for the department.
- Members are the most well-informed alumni and act as advocates for Athletics programs.
- Chair works with the department director to help determine meeting agendas.
- Members take on special projects as needed.
Committee on Career Services
Chair: Deborah Gerard Adelman '71, MS '74
Vice Chair: Randy L. Rosenberg BS ILR '74
URep: Rebecca Sparrow, Director, Cornell Career Services
- Acts as an advocate for Cornell Career Services (CCS).
- Supports CCS in reinforcing with students that career development is a key component of a Cornell education, and that exposure to diverse career opportunities is critical to discovering career direction.
- Assists CCS by strengthening ties between students and employers and alumni, and encouraging participation in Career Services programs.
Committee on Sustainability: Energy, Environment, and Economic Development
Chair: Daniel P. Goldman '87
URep: Francis J. DiSalvo, Director, Center for a Sustainable Future
- Provides updates on environmental research at Cornell and emerging issues around the world.
- Functions as a network supporting environmental studies, students, and activities at Cornell.
- Committee and Center leaders discuss and identify special projects, campus support efforts, and committee activities for the year.
Cornell's Adult University Alumni Advisory Board
Chair: Jeffrey F. Berg '79, MEng '80, MBA '81
URep: Catherine S. Penner, Director, Cornell's Adult University
- Meeting during Trustee-Council Annual Meeting weekend is informational and open to all Council members. All suggestions and ideas welcome.
- NYC meetings review and discuss CAU program proposals for the summer campus program, off-campus seminars, study tours, and CyberTower. Also discuss all aspects of CAU operation.
Chair: Leonard J. Kennedy '74, JD '77
URep: Jacqueline Powers, Director, Federal Relations
- Works with VP for Government and Community Relations, Director of Federal Relations and Director of State Relations.
Human Resources Advisory
Chair: Judy S. Huret PA '93, '96
URep: Mary George Opperman, Vice President, Human Resources and Safety Services
- Receives Human Resources updates about plans, programs, services and benefits at Cornell.
- Committee is asked for feedback after presentations.
- In the past the committee has advised on labor relations, benefit issues, compensation planning, diversity, and organizational effectiveness strategies.
Chair: Teresa J. Port '84
- Reviews biographical forms and rates each according to membership criteria.
- Membership should reflect total alumni body by region, college, and gender.
- Presents names of newly recommended members to Administrative Board and Board of Trustees for approval.
Chair: Mitchell D. Lee '90, JD '96
- Reviews open positions and discusses recommendations for vacancies.
Chair: Betty Eng '92
URep: Thomas W. Bruce, Vice President, University Communications
- Consults with VP for University Communications to promote and improve Cornell’s image with its various constituencies.
Student & Academic Services
Chair: Annie Y. Wong '77
URep: Susan H. Murphy, Vice President, Student and Academic Services
- Meets to review information, programs, and issues related to student life as presented by students, S&AS staff, and involved faculty.
- Provides VP of S&AS with feedback and critical thinking on topics such as how programs and services are developed or enhanced.
- Explores opportunities for member advocacy and support for S&AS.
Chair: Steven S. Gal '88, BS CALS '90
URep: Tina Snead, Director, Research Communications
- Receives information on Cornell’s research, technology marketing, and related issues.
- Focuses on having informed alumni ambassadors for Cornell research and on making connections with corporate entities.
- Has the commercialization of Cornell research as a primary topic.